Sunday, March 1, 2009

saftey first!!!

Hi Barnies,
I think it's time to address some issues with safety at Thunderhill. I think if we all blog the problems we have seen it may help to prevent a future wreck..
here are two of my biggies

1) riding down the isle of the barn:
reason for danger...Lots of stuff lines the sides of the isle i.e. pallet that garbage can sits on,Used hay bin,hay cart ,grain bin, mounting block etc all these things could hook a leg and make your horse go down splitting your head open like a watermelon.Also the cement can be very slippery. If your horse spooks only for a second he slips and falls both of you break a leg. If this happens when a bystander is close think how rotten you'll feel while they are recovering from bumps and bruises.

2)Tying horses in the barn
Horses should be tied with a quick release knot to the main uprights of the barn.
The line between the horses head and the post should be no longer than your arm.
they should be tied at or above eye level.
Don't tie horses that aren't used to each other too close
If you can't tie for some reason like setting back.. please stay in close reach in case there"s an issue

These are just two of my issues.I'm sure you all have your own pet peeves.LETS HEAR THEM.
Why don't you write them in the body of the blog so we can make a list and maybe post it at our favorite place...Thunderhil Farm


Be Safe
Happy Trails
Pam

2 comments:

Ginny McFadden said...

As far as Pam's #1 safety issue, this actually used to be a rule when Andrea was still living. I have to admit, I have occasionally slipped into the habit of using the mounting block or rail and riding down the aisle to get outside - especially in the winter when the east doorway is frozen shut. But, now with this reminder (thanks, Pam), I'll revert to the old rule of no riding in the aisle. I've had my share of wrecks (though most of them have been outside), so I know how important it is to be careful. Good reminders on tying, too.

A suggestion from me would be to always close and latch stall doors when your horse is in them. I have had times in the past when a horse would nudge open, then try to squeeze out, and then the door winds up coming off hinges (or possibly worse).

Hope to see ya'll soon!

Pam said...

Thats a good one Ginny.Thanks for joining in

Happy Trails